Sea World Experience.

It was Sunday night and I sat on the floor of the guest room with my laptop, burning a CD pf pictures taken this past weekend for my mom to take with her. She was packing her suitcase, trying to fit the explosion that had somehow occurred in that room into a 2.5′ x 1.5′ case. There were too few hours left of her visit here and most of them would be consumed with sleeping. My mom kept telling me to “go on to bed, you’ve gotta work in the morning…” But I wanted her to have those pictures and I wanted to spend a few extra minutes with her, even if we were both focused on our individual projects.

Two nights earlier, Friday evening, we had driven down to San Diego county. In the past, I’ve used Priceline with great results, staying in hotels that charge $200+ per night for a whopping bargain price of $75 per night. This time, however, I struck out. Priceline put us in an Extended Stay America hotel, and upon check-in, ESA put us in a smoking room with a queen bed and no extra cots were available. To further the travesty, I forgot to ask the desk clerk for the Internet password upon check-in and they closed the lobby at 11 PM. Three people, two of whom are very tall, one queen bed and none of us smoke. And No Internet. To say that the room didn’t fit our needs was a gross understatement.

Saturday morning found us finishing the drive to Sea World where our adventure for the day began with Breakfast with Shamu. We were seated at an awesome table, right beside the pool. The food was served buffet style, with everything my stomach could have possibly desired. Even my mom was temporarily full — long-time readers will remember that my mom is a non-stop eater, and it’s nearly impossible to fill her up! Thankfully, the “interaction” part — where the trainers send the whales off to do their tricks — didn’t start until after we finished eating. I say thankfully, because being that close to the pool and slide-out, also meant being that close to the whale reward buckets which were, of course, filled with loads of dead fish. *pinches nose*

After breakfast, we had scheduled the dolphin interaction. First, we underwent a classroom orientation with a question and answer session, and then we donned wet suits and headed out into the water. We had to stay on a ledge that was about 4 feet deep, where we were instructed on hand signals, which we in turned gave to the dolphins. We were able to touch, kiss and play with the dolphins. They are such beautiful animals and each one had such different personalities and talents. It was a learning experience, but it was also incredibly fun & memorable.

Following that, we wandered around the park, eventually heading over to Shamu stadium where we had our Showtime Picnic. For $14, we each got a picnic lunch and reserved seats for the show. I’ve always been impressed with that price, because $14 per person, when considering theme park food prices, is quite a bargain. Later that afternoon, we were able to also see the Dolphin Show, Sea Lion & Otter show, and Pets Rule show. We also took a swing on the sky ride, fed the sting rays, fed the Sea Lions, visited the Manitee exhibit and the Arctic exhibit. If you’re exhausted from reading that, just imagine actually doing it!

Click for Pictures.

Sunday’s summary will be forthcoming soon. Don’t worry… it’ll be worth it!


Comments Off on Sea World Experience.

Filed under I did something Special, I have Family

0 responses to “Sea World Experience.

  1. Tony

    I am first…hehehehehe…Sea World was great…I love you sweetie…anananana

    Jeanette replies:
    Of course it was GREAT! 🙂 xoxo

  2. That looks like fun times! I’m sorry about the hotel room, though. And those weren’t alligators. I think they were alligator gar fish. Either way they were ugly.

    Jeanette replies:
    Yeah, yeah, that’s it. Alligator gar fish, I couldn’t remember what they were called. Thank you!

    (I probably shouldn’t be so excited about knowing the proper name, huh??)

  3. I R in Yur blogz – messin wit formz. :p

    Where’s a picture of *the* towel?

    Jeanette replies:
    Wait… what towel?

  4. omg! that’s a whole lotta stuff packed into one little day! 🙂

    sounds like a lot of fun. 🙂

    too bad the room was a bust… 😦

    uhm… i will comment more later. i am supposed to be going to the gym right now. heh.

    Jeanette replies:
    It was a crazy busy day. My mom fell asleep on the way home, and when we got home, she fell asleep on her bed without brushing her teeth or changing her clothes. Then, the next day, when on the phone with her brother, she tried to tell him that WE were the ones who were too tired to stay later at Sea World. As if!

  5. awww! just skimmed through the pics… loved all the animals 😀 and i loved how your mom was holding the flipper of the dolphin. hehehe…

    you look nice in a wetsuit *leer* ;P

    Jeanette replies:
    Hehehe, yeah, that was a cute picture.
    Those wetsuits are slimming. 😛

  6. angi


    Can you tell I”m jealous?

    Jeanette replies:
    That’s what I’m here for, to live out your dreams. Hehehe. 😛

  7. What a fun sounding day! I assume they didn’t have any kippers for breakfast? And swimming with the dolphins is much better than swimming with the fish.

    I got to touch Beluga whales at Marineland a while back. They’re amazingly soft.

    Jeanette replies:
    Ummm, kippers? HA! Nope, no kippers.
    It was truly awesome to be in the water with the dolphins with no barriers. Really awesome.
    Yeah, I would’ve loved to touch the Beluga whales, they were really pretty. 🙂